Monday, September 6, 2010

Shall we skip to Peru my darling?




Peru by Pen and Paints  By Cherry Sweig  April 29- May 14, 2009
   I have traveled my life as an artist. Even as a young child, I sketched during family vacations to remember it all in my own voice, capturing much more than a camera. This impulse unfolded into the  ‘en plein air’ technique- starting with small portfolios that developed into larger artworks.  Europe, Hawaii, the Caribbean, Egypt, Africa and the California coastline have inspired me into taking every chance to create, from wherever I am.
   So, when I saw a brochure from Flying Colors Workshops, I didnt hesitate to sign up for Linda Doll’s  sketch booking in Peru.   Vibrant colors far and wide, ladies wearing marvelous hats, dancers with scissors, a spiritual mountain top city, Inca stone carvings, homes on floating islands and the highest navigational lake in the world –these tempting images drew me to my first adventure below the equator in un-charted waters for a watercolorist.
   Our sketchbooks followed Linda’s course of quick drawings using pencil, permanent pens and watercolors. As we traveled through Peru at a swift pace, it became a delicate contest for me to record the sites from an artist’s viewpoint. As our bus, train, airplane and feet carried us through this country of extremes, I recorded the scenes from wavering stances, windows and seats. The pages of my book began to summarize once-in-a lifetime memories in a way only a quick sketch can.
   Peru is as rich in themes for an artist as it is brimming with history and staggering heights to climb. In just two short weeks that seemed like two months, we saw more than I ever anticipated. From a homemade lunch with 30 Peruvian women and their distinguishing hats, Machu Piccu at sunset and sunrise, Ollantaytambo’s Incan rock face, our guide’s beloved tortilla potato dish, a little girl with her llama, a shaman’s gentle smile, sunrise over Lake Titicaca and dancers with sizzling costumes to my backwards view from the last seat of the train through the Sacred Valley and finally to the snow-capped Andes from my window on the plane, we experienced Peru.
   Overcoming the altitudes of 9- 14,000 feet was an immeasurable test- yet I didn’t miss one stride of the trip. My sketchbook always beckoned me to continue one more page.   Here’s an itinerary review…
Days 1-3:  Lima
Days 3-6  The Sacred Valley
Days 6& 7 Machu Picchu
Days 7-9  Cusco
Days 10-14 Lake Titicaca…




Days 6& 7 Machu Picchu
Where people kind of looked like chickens.. or visa versa...



From the Cusco-Lima Airplane..

Lake Titicaca... we threw our leis into the lake...
frm this boat from the floating reed islands...

Machu Piccu Michi Paccuuuuu...
Cusco

Where men are the knitters...

And the women cant get anymore colorful...


1 comment: