Sunday, September 5, 2010

Southern France Before and After

I was fortunate to paint in Southern France last July, 
but not so fortunate with the uneven 
cobblestone stairs.....




This was my first day, along La Garrone river...in Toulouse...

Second day, just outside of Limoux...we waited for La Tour de France...
I discovered a new way to take a self portrait at a market in Esperza...

and I got my hair braided...

By this colorful lady...who posed for my next watercolor portrait...


Gee, what colors to choose?

So, enough of that... and now back to painting...
First, a preliminary sketch...
I didnt know this lovely couple, but they shared the bench with me for quite awhile...

This is the Mediterranean seaside village of Collioure...
My third visit there, I had planned ahead to paint these colorful boats...
in oils and a special lightweight set-up.

    
I was painting on the steps in the distance, looking towards the boats.
Next, I'll paint them from this direction...I'm thinking about a watercolor this time...
So, it was time to do some SPEED shopping...
and I was rushing.... and......
                                     
Then a small tragedy struck- actually, I wasnt paying attention to my steps, and always in a hurry-
 I missed a staircase by about 30"...2 Germans carried me five blocks to our van....
(I dont think I have ever been both embarrassed and happy at the same time!)
... and then to the ER...I had broken my fifth metatarsal...right foot.
Eighth day into the trip of twenty-five days

  
But that silly mistake did'nt stop me... I found ways to keep painting.

....AND more ways....

No comments:

Post a Comment